Quite unpleasant to look at, algae make it hard for you to spend time in the swimming pool. The total number of species of algae is almost 20000. However, only a small fraction of this number is found in swimming pools. Not many people know that though algae are very unappealing in look, they do not cause diseases, instead; the surface on which they accumulate becomes very slimy and slippery.
Mustard algae, green algae, black algae, and blue green algae are the different types of algae commonly found in swimming pools. Among these types, black algae are the most difficult to deal with. You may sometimes notice red or pink algae-like substance, which actually are bacteria.
If you are willing to install a swimming pool, make sure you lay emphasis on its cleanliness right from the start. Using the best products from the beginning can help you eliminate the possibility of algae in your pool. Pentair pool products are an ideal choice for your swimming pool.
Effects of Algae on Swimming Pool
Algae are not infectious but, if ignored, they can result in some undesirable consequences with your swimming pool. Here are some problems that can arise from an unrestrained growth of algae in your pool.
- Pool water turns cloudy or green. The same happens when the swimming Pool Cartridges stop functioning efficiently.
- The water smells bad.
- There are stains on the floor and walls of the swimming pool
Algae also cause a chemical imbalance in pool water. It results in excessive usage of chlorine, thus causing an increase in the pH level of pool water.
Prevention of Algae Growth:
Here are some effective measures to prevent the growth of algae in your swimming pool.
- Sanitize the Pool Water: You can kill all the microbes present in the pool water by sanitizing it properly. This way, you can also keep the water free from other unwanted impurities.
- Super-Chlorination: To counteract the growth of algae, the pool water needs to have sufficient amount of free chlorine. You can give it a shock treatment by adding more chlorine. This will not only slow down the growth of algae, but will also keep the water clean.
- Use High-Quality Pool Filters: A low-quality filtration system can contribute to the growth of algae in your swimming pool. It is better to use filters from reputed brands. Pentair pool filters are a suitable option.
- Use the Right Replacement Cartridges for Your Pool Filter: It is necessary to use the best replacement cartridges for your pool filter. You can choose Pentair pool filter cartridges for this purpose.